Our emerging priorities
We have given some thought to our priorities in the STP. We know we can’t solve everything at once and that we have to prioritise. The needs of our population have changed with more people living longer with long term conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and dementia. One of our key areas of focus is on preventative and proactive care and we will need to deliver health services differently to help people stay well. We are keen to discuss with local people what our immediate areas of focus should be. Our initial thinking is that we should focus on the following, but we would welcome your views on these emerging priorities.
- Making health and social care services more productive, identifying areas where they can work more closely together, for example by sharing back office functions
- Putting much more emphasis on prevention, helping people to stay well and managing their health proactively
- Helping people earlier than we do now, so that conditions and problems do not get worse
- Making sure people get the right care in the right place from the right service –for example, we’d like GPs to coordinate more joined up care in local communities and we’d like to improve community care so that people don’t need to stay in hospital too long
- Thinking about what services should be provided in each hospital and how networks of clinicians might improve hospital care.