Flu vaccinations in Wandsworth
Each year flu kills on average 11,000 people across the UK and hospitalises many more.
The flu virus is a highly infectious virus which can easily spread from person to person, even between those not showing symptoms.
The flu vaccine is the best protection for you and those around you. It’s available for FREE to those most at risk.
People sometimes think a bad cold is flu, but having flu can often be much worse than a cold and you may need to stay in bed for a few days. Some people are more susceptible to the effects of flu. For them, it can increase the risk of developing more serious illnesses such as bronchitis and pneumonia, or can make existing conditions worse. In the worst cases, flu can result in a stay in hospital, or even death.
Who should get the flu vaccine?
The vaccination is available for free for:
- Pregnant women
- Children aged 2- 11 years old
- Member of a shielding household
- 65+ years old
- Frontline health and social care workers
- Those with a long-term health condition
- Everyone living in a residential or nursing home
- Everyone who cares for an older or disabled person
- Household contacts of anyone on the NHS Shielded Patient List
- Those that are aged between 50 – 64
To check if you are eligible go to nhs.uk/fluvaccine.
The vaccination is also available for everyone else for a fee.
How are we keeping you safe?
We are making sure that the way the flu vaccination will be administered is carried out in a safe way.
We have put many measure in place to keep you safe when visit you GP or hospital such as:
- Being asked to wear a face covering for the duration of your visit
- Using hand sanitiser, which will be available at the entrance
- Staff will be wearing PPE
- Following and keeping to the the social distancing measures that are in place.
Where can I get vaccinated?
You can get you flu vaccination from your local pharmacist or your GP in Wandsworth.
Can we bust your flu vaccine myth?
Flu is unpredictable. The vaccine provides the best protection available against a virus that can cause severe illness. The most likely viruses that will cause flu are identified in advance of the flu season and vaccines are then made to match them as closely as possible.
This why having the yearly flu vaccination offers the protection against the flu for you, your loved ones and those around you.
Do you need resources to help promote the flu vaccination in Wandsworth?
If you would like to promote the flu vaccination, within your community, we have digital materials available for the following groups:
- Children aged 2 & 3
- Those with long term health conditions
- Pregnant women
- Over 65’s
Please email your request to email@example.com with details of your organisation, group or activity.